Apr 11, 2020
In this special edition of Talk About Ireland I examine
life in Ireland between 1939 and 1945, the period known as the
I am joined by local historian, James Scannell, to help me delve
into the legislative and social dimensions of the Emergency.
I also draw upon the following scholarly resources:
- T. Ryle Dwyer, Eamon de Valera (Dublin, 1991).
- Brian Girvin, The Emergency: neutral Ireland, 1939-45
- Helen Litton, The World War II years: the Irish Emergency:
an illustrated history (Dublin, 2001).
- Clair Wills, That neutral island: a cultural history of
Ireland during the Second World War (London, 2007).
- Ian S. Wood, Ireland during the Second World War